[Sussex] Argos Catalogue surprise

Nicholas Butler nik at reducedhackers.com
Sat Nov 11 10:39:52 UTC 2006

> Eric Raymond seems to agree with you, but I think it's a user
> interface problem, not an underlying technology one now that CUPS has
> become more stable. Look at
> http://catb.org/esr/writings/cups-horror.html for his famous rant on
> this. I seem to be the only one who suggested additional open source
> guidelines, rather than merely agreeing with his rant.
That the article was written in  April of this year is more
interesting.As geeks do have a tendency to point to Blogs and articles
which  can affirm an argument because we are looking for evidence of a
similar position. I guess though that in this case the development of
CUPS  may well have been spurred on by this and other comments because
those experiences whilst real may not now be relevant.  It would be
interesting to find  what ESR feels about CUPS today.  This does go to a
point that is quite common in mankind, bad experiences  mean ideas will
be constantly discounted or rejected. On the basis that "oh it was crap
last year" or "not possible a few years back" we  make  decisions about
positions or ideas for now. That is not a BAD thing except where things
change and move ON I guess such as in th case of Open Source
development. Now this is not a pop back , opposing position to Nico, I
just realised something about how I view the discussions and read the
information and make a descicion, so thanks Nico.

Nik