[Sussex] Code-writing methods

Nic James Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Fri Nov 17 11:09:38 UTC 2006

Geoff Teale <gteale at cmedresearch.com> writes:

> Ah, Gosmacs... also famous for it's sale to a proprietary software company and
> resulting legal issues surrounding that sale which led RMS to develop the
> Emacs Public License - the first legal step on the road to the GPL.

Which results, this week, in the GPLing of James Gosling's most famous
program.

I bet rms was really laughing when he came off stage.

> I work these days in various combinations of Python, Scheme, Emacs Lisp, BASH,
> Javascript and C.  The example in my head right now is the import order of
> UNO modules into python when trying to script openoffice.   If early version
> of pyUno if you import the modules in the wrong order the program would
> crash.   Unfortunately that order was not alphabetical (which broke Cmed's
> in-house coding style) and I had to comment that because I knew that there
> was at least one person who would see the CVS check-in and instantly go and
> fix the coding style issue without properly testing.

That's another rule of mine - you should never fix coding style in
source control.

Shout at people about it by all means... but don't fix it.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk   for all your tapsell ferrier needs