[Sussex] BCF: Showing Linux off

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Nov 17 11:52:19 UTC 2006

All

I've been thinking about how best to improve things on the BCF stand.
I've come to the conclusion, from watching the punters walk buy that we
are just not attracting attention.

I think the reason is clear.  For the last few months the stand has just
had a few laptops running Knoppix - that doesn't really show Linux off
at it's best.  What we need to do is have some systems showing some of
the cool things we can do with Linux.

There are my ideas:

1). A Knoppix System.  A machine that is running Knoppix so that it is
there to demo to anyone who asks or what's to see what they get with
Knoppix.

2). A PVR.  I am rebuilding my MythTV box to make it transportable to
the fair.  I've got it mostly working now, all I need to do is
distribute power to the two extra disk I will be installing.  I will
then have a video box sized system with ~60hrs of record time all in one
box.  I have also found that I can connect it up to my old Amiga
monitor, that with my video camera should show it off.

3). The Game system.  Nik as agreed to put a MAME system together so
that we can show how cool Linux is at running those old classic games.
This may not appeal to the hard-core gamer, but there are those that
aren't into to latest games.

The next fair is just over two weeks away (3 Dec) so get your thinking
caps on on how best to show off Linux.