[Sussex] Code-writing methods

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedresearch.com
Fri Nov 17 13:29:10 UTC 2006

On Friday 17 November 2006 12:40, Colin Tuckley wrote:
> Cor! Someone else who used FORTRAN II, I used it while still at school, we
> used to cycle to Cambridge University Eng Labs once a week with our
> papertapes to run stuff on their IBM 1130.

I've programmed in FORTRAN, though never out of choice.

I do however regularly write code in various forms of LISP - a language family
that's been with us since the late 50's and is *still* more capable and
massively more elegant than anything else out there.

Indeed I look on the LISP family of languages as being so ahead of their time
that the ideas contained in them are only *now* becoming fashionable.
Python, Ruby and Javascript are all moving into the field of metaprogramming
slowly.

--
Geoff Teale
Software Engineering Team Leader