[Sussex] BCF: Showing Linux off

John David Thompson jdthompson at themutual.net
Sat Nov 18 18:35:51 UTC 2006

Steven Dobson wrote:
> All
>
> I've been thinking about how best to improve things on the BCF stand.
> I've come to the conclusion, from watching the punters walk buy that we
> are just not attracting attention.
>
> I think the reason is clear.  For the last few months the stand has just
> had a few laptops running Knoppix - that doesn't really show Linux off
> at it's best.  What we need to do is have some systems showing some of
> the cool things we can do with Linux.
>
> There are my ideas:
>
> 1). A Knoppix System.  A machine that is running Knoppix so that it is
> there to demo to anyone who asks or what's to see what they get with
> Knoppix.
>
> 2). A PVR.  I am rebuilding my MythTV box to make it transportable to
> the fair.  I've got it mostly working now, all I need to do is
> distribute power to the two extra disk I will be installing.  I will
> then have a video box sized system with ~60hrs of record time all in one
> box.  I have also found that I can connect it up to my old Amiga
> monitor, that with my video camera should show it off.
>
> 3). The Game system.  Nik as agreed to put a MAME system together so
> that we can show how cool Linux is at running those old classic games.
> This may not appeal to the hard-core gamer, but there are those that
> aren't into to latest games.
>
> The next fair is just over two weeks away (3 Dec) so get your thinking
> caps on on how best to show off Linux.
>
> Steve

Well, my Novatech laptop with Suse 10.1 now Plays DVD's and the WiFi
Works as well!
If I wasn't away drinking in Bristol that weekend I would bring it along
and show it off.  I'm that pleased with it!  Perhaps next time.
Of course I won't mention how many weeks it took to get it going.
Have you got any kind of internet access at the BCF?

John