[Sussex] Some more thoughts on the Microsoft/Novel deal

Ian mu mu.llamas at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 19:10:15 UTC 2006

Sorry, bad phrasing & terminology, I didn't mean it in the way I think maybe
you read though. I.e not meaning that it was in the public domain, just that
once its under the GPL it has to follow the GPL license whatever (i.e you
couldn't take lines of code out of it without it still being distributed
under the GPL itself, causing their own code to follow it).

I'm just not seeing the GPL or linux really being the issue as such or even
coming into it. My guess is more that we'll see more integrated non GPL
proprietary solutions, like Windows server version x containing virtualised
Suse server (or feature), with the none GPL part being the issue. This can
be done fine (to my understanding) since the agreement without any
problems, not related to GPL (whereas there would be an issue with certain
other distros, again relating to proprietary code, not GPL).

Not sure if thats making sense or not.