[Sussex] Some more thoughts on the Microsoft/Novel deal

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 22:06:40 UTC 2006

Certainly the better systems were already available but, with the slick
advertising and pressure of MS people kept, and keep, with the crude
system.

The starting point here is speculation on what MS will do with the
Novell partnership. If it means an advertising pressure to help people
away from Windows to Linux then maybe we will see improvement.

Now I wholeheartedly agree, the worst danger is actually the user who
has total admin rights and naively installs a mischeivous program.

The problem with the old machines is that there are millions where the
owners will not justify investment (time, money or both) in security.

(On a phish, I was with somebody last night who naively filled is such a
phish. They realized their mistake, went in and changed their password
but the 3 minuites or so was enough to have £1500 stolen. (They were
reimbursed by the bank.))

So lets be positive on the speculation and hope for improvement.