[Sussex] Podcast: A plan

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Nov 21 08:10:03 UTC 2006

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 02:29:29AM +0000, Steven Dobson wrote:
> I was sort or thinking this would be a one off, but now you've made me
> think that it might be better to do a little mini series on each of the
> aspects of running the stall.

Indeed. Technically of course it isn't a podcast unless it's delivered as an enclosure to an RSS feed. RSS feeds tend to be used to
allow subscribers to get multiple articles rather than one article. The only reason I mention that is not to be pedantic about the term
podcasting, but that you're setting an expectation if you call it a podcast that there will be more than one "episode" and it will be
downloadable using podcatchers.

> Is it a good idea to do a little mini trail run just to see what the
> issues are?  I was think after the next BCF as we will all be together.

A very good idea. I have taken part in a few of these recordings and they definately benefit from some level of preparation. I also
agree with Colin about the recording equipment. I have two lovely Shure SM58 mics which are complete overkill for what I am recording
myself [plug] http://quickones.org/ [/plug], especially given I record them using Audacity on a 1GHz Celeron which has the following
sound card..

00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 40)

Not exactly recording studio quality. My main PC has a Sounblaster card which is currently unsupported so I am looking for something
like a Soundblaster Extigy (USB) for the audio capture.

As I said, it's good enough for me right now.

Cheers,
Al.