[Sussex] hosting

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Tue Nov 21 13:05:23 UTC 2006

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 08:29:44PM +0000, Gareth Ablett wrote:
>    for the other clients we use a range of hosts mainly supanames which i
>    do believe they have a teck support team either computer generated
>    answers or just complete dumies that cant read the question even if
>    you tell it to them in 10 differant ways. anyway I stop slaging them.
>    we have also used namesco and uk2 which are both a bit crap aswell.
>    we need a host for either a dedicated server with somthing like plesk
>    on or mayby a VPS with a cost preferably less then £1k per year, but
>    the most important thing is to have a support team that know what they
>    are doing so if you have had any experiance of this then i would love
>    to know.

It sounds like you call support a lot.  If you do this because you
need help with what you're doing then I recommend you stay with
someone pricy like Rackspace.  In any situation whrre you don't have
the necessary skills in-house then you should expect to pay a lot
for someone to do it for you.

On the other hand if you call support a lot because their service is
broken then you may do well with the likes of blackcat or bytemark,
whose services are pretty reliable.

Cheers,
Andy