[Sussex] Some more thoughts on the Microsoft/Novel deal

Mark Harrison Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com
Tue Nov 21 14:14:35 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: sussex-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:sussex-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Dave Phelan
Sent: 21 November 2006 13:54
To: LUG email list for the Sussex Counties
Subject: Re: [Sussex] Some more thoughts on the Microsoft/Novel deal

> Wolverine was the project name, if memory serves. It provided the
> TCP/IP stack for Windows 3.11 and was "improved" for Windows for
> Workgroups 3.11 (not sure if that improvement was anything more than
> SMB and Netbios over TCP)

<alert type="flashback">

It was indeed Wolverine - I remember it well :-)

Indeed, I remember running a company-wide migration away from the WRQ TCP
stack for DOS and Windows onto the MS one! We'd also played with Peter
Tattam's "trumpet winsock", but found that its NDIS shim was ropey, and that
product only ever worked well with dial-up connections.

At the time, I was running WfW clients / Netware servers at work (plus some
financial systems that needed telnet/FTP), and Red Hat at home, dialed into
Demon on the old "tenner a month" deal :-)

</alert>

Mark