[Sussex] Backup Solutions Advice

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Wed Nov 29 23:08:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, November 29, 2006 18:46, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:

> Currently the safes are all in the same room and that room is right
> next to nearly 20 metric tonnes of flamable solvent as well as various
> other spontaniously combustible substances and environmental
> pollutants.  Moving the data to a place that is away from all this
> seems to be slightly more sensible as at the moment we will probably
> only recover a large blob of plastic from the bottom of the safe! :)

My guess this is not inside the main building, as that would contravene
the Petroleum (Consolidation) Act 1928 and Petroleum Act 1998. Petroleum
based solvents (Acetone, MEK, MIBK, Butanone, Toluene, Styrene, Xylene,
etc) should be kept in an off site storage with specially shielded
lighting and extractor fans.

Depending on the solvent, you may find a firesafe unsuitable. If you have
toluene or xylene spillage you can kiss any printed material goodbye. If
you have MEK, that chemical likes to eat plastic, so expect to find your
tapes, disks and CDs eaten.

--
John