[Sussex] Backup Solutions Advice

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Thu Nov 30 15:36:16 UTC 2006

Mark Harrison wrote:
>> Sorry - you're moving from storing your data in three separate fireproof
>>  safes, to storing it all in one room?
>
>> I'll not even start to go into how stupid that idea is ;)
>
> Jon,
>
> Firstly:
>
> You seem to be assuming that there is enough space in the separate existing
> firesafes to store redundant backups. I'm not sure where you discovered
> this, unless you have insider knowledge that Matthew hasn't shared with the
> rest of us.

That's a good point - but on the face of it, moving from 3 seperate
safes to a single room seemed a bit silly to me.

> Secondly:
>
> Matthew is looking for a BLASTPROOF solution, and you are telling him that
> it's stupid because the existing FIREPROOF solution is better?

Agreed - I missed the blastproof comment.

> I'm assuming that Matthew with actually understands his business'
> requirements! He's asked a sophisticated question to which you haven't
> provided any kind of answer, but instead decided to flame him.

I wouldn't really regard that as a flame. At most a small fire. Your
email, however, could quite easily be considered a flame :)

My comment was supposed to be a slightly humorous, off the wall comment
- - not a serious answer to his question. Please take my email(s) in the
context they're intended :)

> I've already answered the original question off-list with a bit more detail,
> but given I'm now on, I'll add a simple answer to the original question for
> the archives - "IBM" :-)

Matt asked for advice on backup solutions, and you've responded with
even less information than I did! At least my email prompted a response
 to further explain the situation! :)

Perhaps you could elaborate on "IBM" a little? I've got an IBM pSeries
sitting next to me - frankly, I don't see it standing up well to a
barrage of burning chemicals, but I'll be sure to shield myself under it
should our diesel generator explode, just in case :)

Jon
- --
Jon Fautley RHCE, RHCX <jfautley at redhat.com>   direct: +44 1483 739615
 Technical Account Manager                     office: +44 1483 300169
 Red Hat UK                                    mobile: +44 7841 558683
 10 Alan Turing Road, Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7YF