[Sussex] A beginner's guide to GNU/Linux

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedresearch.com
Thu Nov 30 17:24:05 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 17:05 +0000, Nic James Ferrier wrote:
> Do you know... I saw a very well respected hacker (I think he calls
> himself an architect) using a windowed vi on osx the other day.
>
> Most amusing.

Two wrongs don't make a right :-)

> We need a new, more positive Emacs song, I think. The existing one
> could be described as an archaic old folk song.

Emacs suffers from it's legacy - when you are the whole world and there
a lot of cool things in your world it's very hard to tear it all up and
start again.  Many have tried...

If you start trying to make Emacs again using the popular technology and
design decisions of today you end up with Eclipse - a behemoth just as
overblown as emacs was in comparison to the machines of the early 80s,
but arguably very useful indeed for software engineers.

--
Geoff Teale
Software Engineering Team Leader

Cmed Group Ltd.
Holmwood
Broadlands Business Campus
Langhurstwood Road
Horsham RH12 4QP
United Kingdom

T +44 (0)1403 755071
F +44 (0)1403 755051
E gteale at cmedresearch.com
W www.cmedresearch.com

Driven by technology. Guided by experience.