[Sussex] A beginner's guide to GNU/Linux

Nic James Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Thu Nov 30 19:00:17 UTC 2006

Geoff Teale <gteale at cmedresearch.com> writes:

> Emacs suffers from it's legacy - when you are the whole world and there
> a lot of cool things in your world it's very hard to tear it all up and
> start again.  Many have tried...

I don't think this is true per se. Emacs, like any LISP system, is a
constant source of frustration and inspiration to the uneducated who
don't apperciate _why_ something is as it is:

Things an uneducated person might think:

LISP would be great without all those parentheses! I'll design a new
LISP without them!

Emacs would be great if it were multi-threaded! I'll design a new
Emacs with multiple threads!

Emacs would be great if it were written in Ruby! I'll design a new
Emacs written in Ruby.

Emacs, like LISP, has survived because it's right.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk   for all your tapsell ferrier needs