[Sussex] A beginner's guide to GNU/Linux

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 19:52:01 UTC 2006

>Windows feels arcane to me, or perhaps childish would be a
>better term - very limited and not at all useful for the power user,
>very slow to do anything useful. By 2012 maybe it will have caught up
>with Linux in the usability stakes

No chance!

But I am frequently confronted with the comment that 'my son doesn't
agree with you about Linux'.
I have accepted that the whole world has been brainwashed by Microsoft
into the understanding that computers should crash, should freeze,
should have viruses and require constant rebooting.
Working professionally in the Electronics Industry I have never used
Windows and indeed it did not exist in 1970. I am used to the fact that
real computers only get switched off once a year when the plant
department does some rewiring.

Now we really do want some useful books:
The only book I have found so far is:- Linux in Easy Steps  - Mike
McGrath  ISBN 1-84078-275-7
this walks the user through the first installation and is based on
Mandrake etc. but is really quite a useful starting point.

I am changing my gmail signature to:- Windows users enjoy Viruses, other
people use UNIX or Linux