[Sussex] FreeNAS/Storage.

Dave Chapman linux-lists at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 2 12:26:38 UTC 2006

On Sun October 1 2006 19:58, John D. wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Dave Chapman kindly gave me an old desktop PC for use as a NAS box.
>
> He'd even installed FreeNAS on it i.e. on the original hard drive, which,
> only being 6 gig in size, is rather small for NAS.
>
> It also came complete with a removeable caddy so I could add an additional
> hard drive. I bought a reasonable sized (320 gig) ultra ATA hard drive for
> it.
>
> Dave even did the basic setup for me.
>
> It now appears, that when the new HDD is in the caddy and plugged in to the
> box, I'm unable to access the system.
>
> If I remove the new HDD I can log in to the GUI (browser based) system
> fine.
Your new hard drive is probably set to be master
Have a look at the drive it should have a label that shows the 3 choices
Master
Slave
Cable Select
Just try changing it to slave
> Having looked around, I'm unable to find out how to see what's happening.
> Yes I understand that it might be that the boxs' BIOS might not support a
> 320 gig drive, but I thought that it should, theoretically, still show
> something.
>
> Apparently not.
>
> Because the box is only connected via ethernet, I have no (AFAIK) way of
> accessing the BIOS to see if that might be the case.
Arr yes

You will have to plug a monitor and keyboard in.
There's an option in the bios to detect the hard drives.
    IDE HDD AUTO DETECTION
The 6Gig will be PM ( primary master)
The CD might be SM (secondary master) can't remember off the top of my head.

> Does anyone have any experience with such a system, and if so, how I might
> be able to work out what the problem might be?
Or give me a shout.
I'm off Wednesday
> regards
>
> John D.
>
> p.s. Oh and as of this morning, I've managed to make a new convert to the
> world of Linux - my aunt, who's in her late 70's, is now dual booting an
> AMD64 Evesham system, XP and Kubuntu. She's happy with accessing both OS's
> but it seems I'll have to go and do a few "lessons" on how to use the
> Kubuntu and the various applications that she wants to use under linux!

Dave