[Sussex] Sourcing list of hardware

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Fri Oct 20 09:26:16 UTC 2006

On Fri, October 20, 2006 09:08, Colin Tuckley wrote:
> Fay Zee wrote:
>> I am after the following hardware for a small office - any
>> recommendations please?
>>
>> ADSL router
>
> Almost any of the ones you see around, Dlink, netgear etc will do. You
> should expect to pay 25 quid for a non-wireless one and maybe 35 for a
> Wireless one.
>
>> Network switch or hub
>>
>> This is for 17 PCs.
>
> Hmm... that's a difficult number, assuming your ADSL router is the usual
> 4-port thing then a 16 port switch will give you a total of 18 ports for
> PCs
> (one on each device being needed for interconnection) which doesn't give
> much room for expansion. Of course if you went Wireless for some of the
> PCs
> then that would solve the problem. Otherwise you are talking about a 24 or
> 32 port switch which starts to get expensive.

What I'd do would be deploy 24 double outlets and use a patch cabinet with
a 48 port patch panel. The office then has future expansion with network
printers, extra desks and staff and if they decided, seperated VoIP
telephony.

Edimax make 24 port rackmount switches priced at around £43, so you have
the option of a second switch should the network grow to that size.

--
John