[Sussex] Pub quiz

ar at f2s.com ar at f2s.com
Wed Oct 25 22:19:05 UTC 2006

> From: Andy Smith <andy at lug.org.uk>
> > Andy Smith wrote:
> > > Anyone brave eough to give
> > > http://people.delphiforums.com/gjc/crashme.html a go?  A while back
> > > I heard it could give a kernel panic within 30 minutes even as a
> > > normal user, but things may have improved now.
> >
> > We have a winner!  On a P4P8X Ubuntu 6.06 LTS exhibits Laughably Transient
> > Stability, crashing repeatably in under a second.  Well found Andy!
>
> That's worse than I expected..  did you run this as a normal user
> and it gave a kernel panic or otherwise rendered the machine
> unusable?

Normal user with sudo capability; the attempts went something like this:
 - crashed X instantly, restarted it with Ctl-Alt-Bksp
 - crashed session instantly, logged in again with GUI login panel
 - crashed to BIOS POST (or just crashed to black & I reset), instantly
 - crashed to bare unresponsive desktop background, instantly
 - one last try, a similar result

I guess I screwed up :( and you want to hear what it does with a normal pleb
user?  OK but there's a small fee, can anyone advise on this:

I installed the latest static Opera over a previous one: d/l the .deb and double
click it.  Error conflict with version already installed OWTTE.  Used Synaptic
to remove previous version, retried, same result.  Tried 'completely remove',
same result.  Tried 'completely remove' followed by re-installing previous
version from .deb, same result.

Well, Synaptic didn't do the original install, duh.  But the GDebi package
installer GUI doesn't have uninstall functionality, and what kind of conflict
would prevent installing new over old?  Suddenly I have to love Firefox  :-/

Haven't had time to note exact error msg or google for it yet, sorry.

MTIA, in haste
Anthony