[Sussex] Success at last

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Sat Sep 2 19:55:24 UTC 2006

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 01:50:05AM +0100, Steven Dobson wrote:
> This is not an idel system either.  It is the work horse of my DMZ
> handling all incomeing and outgoing emails, spam assissin, web server
> and primary DNS server for my domain, etc.
>
> So what magical things happend when you get over a hear of uptime?

You get rooted by the several local root escalation vulns. in the
Linux kernel[1] recently? ;)

Obviously there are workarounds you can apply to avoid having to
reboot but I thought I better comment as leaving a system going
without essential kernel upgrades is not recommended for the layman
especially when running so many different large services.

Cheers,
Andy

[1] http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/418