[Sussex] Linux and Web Development Article

Fay Zee fay.linux at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 13 00:02:13 UTC 2006

Just found this link on digg.

As a web developer myself, I found the articles of interest and wanted
to share them.

Linux and Web Development Intro:
http://mondaybynoon.com/2006/07/03/linux-and-web-development-intro/

Linux and Web Development Part 2:
http://mondaybynoon.com/2006/09/11/linux-and-web-development-part-2/

This is a quote from the second article:
          "I'd like to provide an update to what I've learned about
using Linux in
          my day-to-day personal and professional work. After much testing and
          many changes, I think that I may be able to offer some
prospective users
          some direction in their switch to Linux." Jon Christopher

I've been using Bluefish for the last week or so, and have got used to it.

It has taken a long time for me to be able to let go of my dependancy
on WYSIWYG editors, but with Bluefish I had managed it.

However after reading this article I want to try Quanta Plus again. I
like the idea of code folding and contextual dropdowns. Apparently
Quanta Plus is based on Kate, of which I am a big fan. So I'll give it
a go.

Now before the sys admins and veterans set fingers to keyboards to
suggest vi/vim and emacs, I just want to point out that the article is
aimed at web developers switching over from Windows. As these people
are probably used to the mouse, Bluefish and Quanta Plus are
appropriate and easy to learn quickly, so they can get productive
almost at once.

At least, this was the case for me with Bluefiish :-)