[Sussex] Linux and Web Development Article

Steven Dobson Steve at Dobson.org
Wed Sep 13 23:12:03 UTC 2006

Fay

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 01:02 +0100, Fay Zee wrote:
> As a web developer myself, I found the articles of interest and wanted
> to share them.

I've just found the time to read the first article.

> Linux and Web Development Intro:
> http://mondaybynoon.com/2006/07/03/linux-and-web-development-intro/

> Now before the sys admins and veterans set fingers to keyboards to
> suggest vi/vim and emacs, I just want to point out that the article is
> aimed at web developers switching over from Windows. As these people
> are probably used to the mouse, Bluefish and Quanta Plus are
> appropriate and easy to learn quickly, so they can get productive
> almost at once.

That wasn't what struct me.  I like his bit on gFTP and how fustracting
he found it to use because it wouldn't hold the link to the server while
he was editing the files locally.

I don't think he's got it into his head that he can run a web server on
his desktop system!  I almost never have to deploy files to a remote
system [1].
As I do the odd bit of web development I run apache on my desktop system
and have a virtual server pointing at by development environment.
Testing is just a save in the editor followed by a refresh in the
browser.

I wonder if he discovers this in part two, of is he set in his ways of
thinking that desktop system and server systems are different.  Turnin
talked about the Universal Machine, so to me a computer is what ever I
want it to be at that moment.

Steve

[1]
The only time I do have to do a remote deploy is when the target system
is limited (like an embedded device) which doesn't have a compiler on
board, or if it did it would take too long to compile compared to a
compile on a much faster system followed by an scp to the target
envrionment.