[Sussex] floppies - mounting and reading ?????

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sat Sep 16 17:29:48 UTC 2006

Hi list,

This one will sound very dumb.

How do I mount and read a floppy ?

I have 2 disc that have MS word files on them. If I put a disc in and right
click the floppy drive icon, I get a dialogue box that makes it look as if
it's trying to read the disc (drive noises as well as activity light), then
it hits me with an error about no specified file system.

As far as I am aware, it should work ok, but it's not and I'm obviously
missing something here. The device is listed in the fstab (as per below).

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
usbfs  /proc/bus/usb  usbfs  devmode=0666  0  0
/dev/hda3       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/hda1       /boot           ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/hda2       /swap           auto    defaults        0       2
/dev/hda4       /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/cdrom      /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

I'd be greatful if someone could point me in the right direction.

regards

John D.

p.s. and no, I don't usually have a use for floppies hence the daft question.