[Sussex] Rsync and excluded files

Nic James Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Sun Sep 24 19:48:53 UTC 2006

"Bob Williams (SLUG)" <linux at barrowhillfarm.org.uk> writes:

> I'm having trouble getting rsync to read/act on my excluded files. The
> significant line in my script is
>
> /usr/bin/rsync -av --delete
> --exclude-from=/home/bob/Documents/scripts/backup/excludedfiles
> /home/bob /home/pub/My_Pictures /home/pub/Shared_Documents
> /home/pub/HilsComputer /media/toshiba/backup.0
>
> and the contents of '../excludedfiles' is
>
> /home/bob/bacula
> /home/bob/.opera/cache4
> /home/bob/Utilities
> /home/pub/downloads
> /home/pub/vmware

The /home/pub ones in the list are irrelevant because you don't ask
that /home/pub is rsynced:

> /home/bob
> /home/pub/My_Pictures
> /home/pub/Shared_Documents
> /home/pub/HilsComputer

But you need to send us the output of:

 /usr/bin/rsync -nav --delete \
 --exclude-from=/home/bob/Documents/scripts/backup/excludedfiles \
 /home/bob /home/pub/My_Pictures /home/pub/Shared_Documents \
 /home/pub/HilsComputer /media/toshiba/backup.0

before we can help I suspect.

(the -n stops the copy from actually happening).

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk   for all your tapsell ferrier needs