[Sussex] SPAM Filtering Revisited

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 12:06:59 UTC 2006

I am very appreciative of the comments I have now seen under this heading.
As a user, I have no control over the ISP's actions or lack of them. I
think I do now appreciate a little bit better the issues involved.

I am using Thunderbird which, on the whole, does a good job and it does
learn very well.

I would be much happier if the ISP were to make use of one of the
'dynamic blocking lists' and then filter them in to a junk folder on the
server. This way the spam would not use bandwidth in downloading to my
desktop.

My comment is that gmail does use this filtering very effectively and I
have, in several months only had one false positive and two spams not
detected as such. Then I go of the web and 'report' the spam.

Periodically one does have to check that no genuine emails have gone to
the junk folder. As one only needs to look at the listing quickly it is
not a problem but, in an ideal world the problem would not be there in
the first place.

But, if everybody were to stop using that awful system then spam could
generally be consigned to history, now would that not that be nice?