[Sussex] NTP Server....

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Thu Apr 5 11:40:30 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 09:18:39AM +0100, Jamie L. Penman-Smithson wrote:

> On 5 Apr 2007, at 01:53, Andy Smith wrote:
> >I suggest using at least:
> >
> >0.uk.pool.ntp.org
> >1.uk.pool.ntp.org
> >2.uk.pool.ntp.org
> >3.uk.pool.ntp.org
> >0.pool.ntp.org
> >1.pool.ntp.org
> >2.pool.ntp.org
> >
> >That way at least one or two bad clocks won't affect you and you can
> >focus on your own problems.
>
> This is a tad excessive, you only need 3 or 4 timeservers listed.

I agree if you have other servers provided by your upstream, but
otherwise unfortunately pool.ntp.org servers can be so unreliable
that I would never recommend using less than 5 of them if that's all
you've got.

5 is a sensible minimum number of servers anyway, if using public
servers.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB