[Sussex] Jakob Nielsen on Participation Inequality on the Web

Nicholas Butler nik at reducedhackers.com
Fri Apr 6 15:28:18 UTC 2007

Phil.,

Wow you sit there for ages saying hardly anything online and then BHWAM
that posting, as a response to lurkers, users and members ( see Dobbos
here and in plain text I'll read it than head off to my browser ( but
hey horses for courses man, hourses for corses ! ) .

In particular I enjoyed this comment in the summary

"  * Make participation a side effect. Even better,
let users participate with zero effort by making their
contributions a side effect of something else they're
doing. For example, Amazon's "people who bought this
book, bought these other books" recommendations are a
side effect of people buying books."

and this one in the main posting

" * Signal-to-noise ratio. Discussion groups drown
in flames and low-quality postings, making it hard to
identify the gems. Many users stop reading comments
because they don't have time to wade through the swamp
of postings from people with little to say."

Thanks for posting

Nik