[Sussex] Not managing to comlete an install by myself.

Fay Zee fay.linux at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 9 18:34:02 UTC 2007

On 09/04/07, ANDRE ORCHISON <orchison at btinternet.com> wrote:
> I also requested a copy of Ubuntu as it
> appears to be one of the best to learn on gently. So the live CD's work like
> a charm, but when it comes time to install, everything just seems to stand
> still halfway through.

I gave a live demonstration of a Kubuntu installation on an XP desktop
last Thursday at a computer club in Crawley. Even with chin wagging
all the way through there were no undue delays. It wasn't connected to
the Internet.

I've installed several distros on my Dell Latitude C610 PIII 256MB.
This particular laptop had a problem with its network card so was
never connected to the Internet, yet the installs all went without a
hitch. Except for Knoppix which always failed completely.

One solution springs to mind: pop the hard drive out of the laptop and
into a shuttle connected to your desktop and install it from there. Or
if you have no shuttle, transfer it to another laptop.

Fay