[Sussex] Not managing to comlete an install by myself.

Karl E. Jorgensen karl at jorgensen.org.uk
Mon Apr 9 19:18:52 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 02:45:39PM +0100, ANDRE ORCHISON wrote:
> Hi All.
>
>   I'm very very new to Linux, so bear with my inexperience please.

No problem - that sort of feedback is very valuable!

>   I have an old laptop I want to use to get to know linux a bit
>   better. It's not very hi-spec, but it can and does run WinXP with no
>   complaints whatsoever.

Out of curiousity: What make/model?

>   So I have bought Linux Format to get a bit of a read, and some of the
>   distro's on the cover disc.

Which ones?

>   I also requested a copy of Ubuntu as it appears to be one of the
>   best to learn on gently.

Not a bad start. It's got a very good reputation.

>   So the live CD's work like a charm,

That sounds like a good sign.  Was Knoppix amongst the Live CDs you
tried?  Which one "felt" the best?

(As far as I can see, the latest copy of Linux Format has Elive on
it...)

>   .. but when it comes time to install, everything just seems to stand
>   still halfway through.

Any clues as to what it is doing at that point? Or: failing that: what
was it doing *before* that?

Problem is that "Linux" comes in many flavours, all different in some
way or other, and I'm not sure which one you're referring to here.
(If I was a mechanic, I'd be asking make/model too :-)

>   And that is where I need to now tap your collective knowledge. What
>   on earth will make an install 'go to sleep' so to speak.

There are many different possibilites, some of which are:
- Waiting for DHCP - but this should usually time out after 30 secs...
- Probing the video hardware. On some esoteric cards this could cause a
  lock-up in the past...
- Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (a.k.a. ACPI): The support
  for this varies depending on make, model BIOS revision and god knows
  what...

But we will need to ask a few questions in order to narrow it down.

>   While booting up a live CD, and double clicking the install icon,
>   all goes well until step '3 of 6'. Then calling up task manager all
>   processes except for the task manager report status:'sleeping'. This
>   happens with Ubuntu and New Sense,

>   I assume the same happens with Mandriva as it does not repond during
>   the text only phase, and also after just showing a beautiful orange
>   desktop, no icons or interface at all.

The Mandriva installer is significantly different from Ubuntu and
GNewSense.

Since this also has problems (assuming that I read your mail correctly),
you might have some "strange" hardware there, which the kernel somehow
bawks at. Knowing the make/model of the laptop would help here.

>   Please help, as I am keen to learn and use Linux.

You've found the right place! We're keen to help

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl at jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/