[Sussex] aflax (more flash things)

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 10:31:51 UTC 2007

Andrew Guard wrote:
> James Smith wrote:
>> Bizarrely, some extremely useful news: Adobe have just announced that
>> they are open sourcing the Flex SDK (similar it seems to things like
>> OpenLaszlo).
>>
>> http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200704/042607Flex.html
>>

>> Looks like it might be worth a look, seeing as one of their demo apps
>> does pretty much exactly what I want :D
>>
>> cheers,
>> James
>>
>> On 26/04/07, Nic James Ferrier <nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk> wrote:
>>> This is a library for calling flash from JS:
>>>
>>>   http://www.aflax.org/
>>>
>>> it basically means you don't need a flash compiler... you're just
>>> treating flash as a library.
>>>
>>> Quite a cool idea. If adobe have any sense they'll go down this road.
>
> I would be supprised if Adobe them selfs will go down this route going
> by there past history, but would be possiable for others to do.
>
> Adobe has long and good history of Open Documents, Open Source
> support. Simpily Adobe gets this Open stuff. Adobe is smart they dont
> want to do everything let everyone else do for them.

Umm. Not necessarily that smart. If you look at Postscript and
Ghostscript, you'll see that Adobe tried to keep it directly under their
control, charged and charges exorbitant licensing fees, and shot
themselves in the head by various means in the creation of Display
Postscript for Apple, NeXT, Sun, SGI, and other operating systems.

They understand the rules and play by them, but it doesn't mean they
play well or as openly as some of us would wish. I *liked* display
Postscript....