[Sussex] Palm OS, Kontact/Kpim and/or a W98 Laptop???

RIchie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Sat Apr 28 20:59:21 UTC 2007

John D. wrote:
> Wotcha list,
>
> My palm based Treo 650 is being rather temperamental when syncing with
> Kontact/Kpim.
>
> I have wine installed, but haven't managed to install the windows based Palm
> desktop software - don't even know where to start with wine!
>
> The Treo 650 normally connects via usb and it _should_  just be a case of
> starting the kpilot app and hitting the sync button on the palms USB
> connection lead - but at the moment nothings happening.
>
> I have the palm desktop software installed on Clares' laptop, but for the life
> of me I can't make that connect to the internet either (which I suspect is to
> do with when I had it networked via Samba - but can't work out what I need to
> do to get it connecting - which would be handy as I think theres an update to
> the firware for the Treo 650).
>
> I digress. Where should I be looking to find out whats going on with the Treo
> 650 connection to my system, and why it's not wanting to sync?
>
> Plus, does anyone have any good links to wine howtos for idiots (me) so I can
> see if I can get the desktop software installed ?
>
> regards
>
> John D.
>
> p.s. Oh and I'm currently running Sidux (based on debian SID) - fully updated
> etc.

Hi John,

I have one of those myself, but have not tried syncing it with Linux yet...

However, a while back, I did get my old 600 syncing with Linux - and the
first thing i remember is that you need to do a dmesg to make sure that
the Palm device is detected when you hit the hotsync button on the
device, as Palm devices only appear then.  I'll have to give my 650 a
go, and see if I can help you out!

As to wine stuff - I recently started playing myself - it seems pretty
easy - once you've got it installed, do a wine <program> and it will
install it under your user dir in ~/.wine/drive_c/<path> - you should
find the wine file browser on your menu, or you can execute a windows
prog by cd'ing to it, and doing wine <filename>.  Thats about as far as
I have got!   Hope it helps....

Cheers,

Richie