[Sussex] Printing problems

Steve 'Dobbo' Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Aug 14 12:22:50 UTC 2007

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 12:45:25PM +0100, Brendan Whelan wrote:
> As you can see from my earlier email I have encountered a number of problems when trying to setup a printing regime that meets our needs. The problem is now very detailed and is therefore no one best suited to user group help.
>
> Would anyone in the group like a small amount of paid consultancy to work with me to resolve the problem? If so, please will you email me directly ( b_whelan at mistral.co.uk ) with a brief overview of your skills and your hourly rate. I am based in Steyning but can happily take the server to anywhere within a reasonable distance.

I found this link [1] on installing your printer on Ubuntu.  It looks
like you have to compile and install some code.  If you want help then
contact me.  Compiling code I can do, and I have configured printer
setups before but I am no Redhat/Fedora expert.

Personally when buying printers I would recommend selecting models that
support Postscript (PS).  A PS printer just plugs and plays these days,
all you have to do is tell the printer subsystem which port it is on and
that is is Postscript and Bob is your mother's brother.  I know PS
printers cost more (Postscript being a licensed technology) but it is a
worthy investment in the time and trouble it saves.

If the printer systems fucks up and your really do have to get your boss's
plans printed then it is easy with a PS printer because you can just copy
the PS file to the printer device if necessary.  Of course you need to get
the file into PS format, but PDF to PS converts and common place and
just about everything these days can output PS or PDF.

> I need to be able to create files with dynamic content which I can then
> print.

This make no sense to me.  A printout is, by definition, is static.  Once
the ink hits the paper it can't be moved.

If you have some software that takes a template and some information (from
a database) and produces lots of output that is the combination of the two
that is a different matter.  But at some point before the job is given to
the printer the output must have been fixed.  I couldn't understand your
script at all.

[1] http://www.elijahlofgren.com/linux/ubuntu/#scx-4100