[Sussex] part time sysadmin wanted

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 07:14:02 UTC 2007

Nic wrote:
> --text follows this line--
> Is anyone here interested in doing a bit of low cost sysadmin stuff?
>
> I've got a bunch of tasks that need doing and I don't have the time:
>
> - setup SSLd IMAP and POP
> - setup nagios to monitor IMAP and POP and other things
> - setup some form of  PAM account management (LDAP, Postgres?)
> - setup PPP/PPTP VPN chap authentication with PAM
> - setup VPNs between machines
>

> Obviously not all of this is necessary at once. It might take a month
> or longer to get all this done.
>

> Is anyone interested? I can pay, albeit not a fortune.

If I wind up with time between contracts (my current one ends Aug. 31),
I might have time. I've done all of that.

Some obvious note:
    Don't use POP. Really. There's not much excuse for it, and it causes
folder synchronization problems.
    SSL enabled IMAP is trivial on modern OS's.
    Nagios can be fun: I've been using "fruity" to administer it, but
the number of abandonware GUI's for Nagios
is really, really frightening. And the non-abandonware ones are truly
awful in their intent on taking over your whole
systems. "Here, let's import 500 Perl Modules from CPAN and add SSH
accounts with root access all
over the place! That'll let us monitor things!" Sorry, I recently took
apart the source for Opsview and ZenOSS.
    PPTP is built into most modern Linuxes. "With PAM" is kind of vague.
LDAP/Kerberos, I assume.
    VPN's, again, built into most modern Linuxes. Firewalls and routing
needs attention.