[Sussex] MySQL won't start

Steve 'Dobbo' Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Aug 17 11:46:39 UTC 2007

Brendan

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 12:26:13PM +0100, Nic wrote:
> "Brendan Whelan" <b_whelan at mistral.co.uk> writes:
> > I have just installed Fedora Core 6 including MySQL.  When I try to
> > start the MySQL using "service mysqld start" I get "Neither host
> > "mountain" or "localhost" could be looked up with /usr/bin/resolveip.
> > Please configure your hostname........."
> >
> > hostname returns "mountain"  (my server name) and Apache gives the
> > initial page when I enter http://localhost
>
> Try adding this:
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost mountain
>
> to your /etc/hosts file.

It's better on servers to map the hostname to the server's IP address.
As it is a server I will assume it has a fixed IP address assigned to
it.  There are some protocols which embed the server's IP into the
packets that they send.  Remote client may then try and communicate
with the server via their own loopback interface (lo - 127.0.0.1)
which will never work.

Therefore I recommend that you change /etc/hosts to:

   127.0.0.1	localhost
   192.168.1.1	mountain

Replacing 192.168.1.1 with the fixed IP address of your server.