[Sussex] Slow Internet

Vic lug at beer.org.uk
Thu Feb 1 11:57:54 UTC 2007

> I've never trusted Plus since they deleted all my email last summer...

I started court action against PlusNet a few years ago. That was fun. They
seemed to think I'd back down in the face of sufficient bluster... :-)

Still - the thing I did notice most about Plus at the time was that their
DNS was appalling. Back then, it used to drop out regularly - to the
extent that I decided to learn about BIND and how to do it myself.

That must have taken all of an hour - and suddenly, my connection *flew*.
All the sluggishness I'd been experiencing was not down to pipe
bottlenecks as I'd assumed - it was all DNS lookup delays.

Needless to say, BIND is now amongst the first applications I set up on a
new installation (and it seems to work very well on Windows as well as
Linux).

Vic.