[Sussex] Slow Internet

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 21:47:52 UTC 2007

>Still - the thing I did notice most about Plus at the time was that their
>DNS was appalling. Back then, it used to drop out regularly - to the
>extent that I decided to learn about BIND and how to do it myself.
>
>That must have taken all of an hour - and suddenly, my connection *flew*.
>All the sluggishness I'd been experiencing was not down to pipe
>bottlenecks as I'd assumed - it was all DNS lookup delays.

Now, some explanation on BIND is going to be helpful here as I will try
anything.
I have two users on the same exchange (020 8647) using talktalk and they
have similar problems, other users of talktalk have no problems.
The strange thing is that the modem diagnostics give a clean bill of
health, but the access to the internet is very flakey. I have learned
that the MTU must be reduced. Talktalk gave a figure of 1400 while
searching on google I find that 1430 might be right. The default is 1500.