[Sussex] BBC Video Downloads

Nic James Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Fri Feb 2 00:48:43 UTC 2007

Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> writes:

>> "May the BBC spend the money you give it to artificially boost and
>> reinforce the market share a convicted monopolist, destroying British
>> and European businesses as it goes?"
>>
> Down, boy. I'm working for the BBC on a related project. It's a matter
> of public record that they're taking the issue seriously and plan to
> make the material available for non-Windows Media players.

I think Geoff's right (apart from the monopolist bit - but they
haven't actually said that they ARE going to build a linux version).

We, the tv licence owners of great britain have paid for this stuff
once. Why should we pay for it again? Why should our usage of it be
limited?

It doesn't make sense and I find the arguments for DRM and time
limiting wrt the BBC increasingly tenuous.

They seem to ammount to BBC people saying "there's no way we'd be able
to do this thing without DRM". Which isn't actually a statement of why
I should be limited in what I can do with content I have already paid
for.

The trust seems to be saying: "we support DRM because we wouldn't want
to hurt commercial organizations". But that isn't a reason for why I
should be restricted in what I can do with content I have already paid
for either.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk   for all your tapsell ferrier needs