[Sussex] BBC Video Downloads

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 08:12:19 UTC 2007

Geoff Teale wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 00:23 +0000, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>
>> Down, boy. I'm working for the BBC on a related project. It's a matter
>> of public record that they're taking the issue seriously and plan to
>> make the material available for non-Windows Media players.
>>

> I'm extremely glad to hear it.  However my interpretation of the
> question stands.
>
> I don't mean to be overly critical of the BBC.  I would count myself a
> fan of the BBC, and the unique model under which it is run.  However, I
> feel it is my duty to ensure that the spirit of that model is carried
> into the digital realm.
>
> For clarification of my affiliations note my personal rather than work
> e-mail address:

Being forced to support Windows Media has been a problem for many
companies: Akamai Technologies, for whom I used to do hardware
evaluations and Linux driver integration, hated being forced to run
Windows boxes to stream Windows Media. I agree it's a concern: but
they're not trying to cut anyone out of being able to see the content,
they see the issue.

So you're a local FSF member? I''ve known Stallman for years: he was
pretty livid when the Linux kernel came out, filled the hole in the
basis for an open-source OS tthat the HURD kernel had never quite
managed, and got so much credit for the rest of the operating systems.