[Sussex] Linux Virtual Server (LVS)

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Mon Feb 5 12:59:38 UTC 2007

paul.morriss at tokenbay.co.uk wrote:
> Hi
>   I want to upgrade from 1 Slackware server servicing an application I
> wrote - which uses port 2525 to having 4 so as to spread the load.
>
> I have been trying to get Linux Virtual Server working, I have
> successfully reconfigured the 2.6.19.2 kernel to enable the option and
> recompiled.
>
> With LVS you have a 'director/balancer' machine and then the 'real
> servers', does anyone know if the real servers need to have the kernel
> patch for LVS too?  I was hoping not as they run NetBSD at the moment..

Nope. You don't touch 'em.

> Has anyone configured LVS and can point me to a decent guide? I have tried
> several, I really think I need an idiots guide to explain the localhost
> changes.

Not really - I've played about with Piranha (the web GUI for it that
ships with Red Hat's Cluster Suite product) and, um, I'll steer as clear
of it all as possible ;)

/j
--
Jon Fautley RHCE, RHCX <jfautley at redhat.com>   direct: +44 1483 739615
 Technical Account Manager                     office: +44 1483 300169