[Sussex] : Stallman and GNU/Linux

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Mon Feb 5 13:47:07 UTC 2007

Paul

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 11:39:24AM -0000, Paul wrote:
> Surely this is all a bit simpler than this?

This topic is mostly, at least in my eyes, political and thus far from
simple.

> It's the Linux kernel being used in the GNU/Linux OS as far as I remember?

The only problem I have with the term "GNU/Linux OS" is that why is
GNU software given billing when other software, which is equally important,
is not?  Personally I would prefer the term "GPL OS" as code licensed under
the GPL is by far the largest component.

Steve

P.S. Please note that GPLed software is not necessarily GNU software.