[Sussex] BBC coverage of vista

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Mon Feb 5 14:10:29 UTC 2007

Nic

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 12:22:50PM +0000, Nic James Ferrier wrote:
> Ok. At first I thought the Beeb's coverage was ok. But now I've seen
> this:
>
>   http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6312501.stm
>
> which seems to be like an extended advert for Vista.

I don't see anything to complain about.  The opening paragraph says
that this "Andrew Gruen gives his first impressions of the new operating
system" and thus this is personal opinion not news and I read it as
such.

> I can't see what useful function this is performing... to the educated
> eye it's a bad advert. I'm not sure what it looks like to someone who
> isn't a techie.
>
> But why are the BBC paying someone to do this?

Because the BBC outputs more than just news in it's current affairs
activities.  Providing comment on major events is within the remit of
the BBC.  It would be nice if there were to do a similar article on
the next release of Debian.  :-)  But somehow I doubt they will.