[Sussex] Unable to umount - device is busy

Fay Zee fay.linux at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 6 22:42:15 UTC 2007

This old chestnut ;-)

I've got a line in fstab for /dev/sda1:
/dev/sda1       /media/kingston vfat    rw,user,noauto  0       0

This does for all my different pen drives.
However, I can never mount two USB pen drives in succession, because I
can never unmount the first one.
Even though I close the file manager and have nothing running in kde
except the terminal window.

I get this:

# umount /dev/sda1
umount: /media/kingston: device is busy
umount: /media/kingston: device is busy
# fuser /media/kingston/
/media/kingston/:     1102
# fuser -v -k /media/kingston/

                     USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
/media/kingston/     root       1102 f....  famd
                     root     kernel mount  /media/kingston
No automatic removal. Please use  umount /media/kingston
# umount /media/kingston/
umount: /media/kingston: device is busy
umount: /media/kingston: device is busy

I had been downloading another set of photos from the camera (the ones
destined for my navigational photo trail) and then I wanted to access
another pen drive.
I closed the file manager but couldn't unmount the camera.

The man page for umount mentioned swap but didn't give instructions:
       Note  that  a  file  system cannot be unmounted when it is `busy' - for
       example, when there are open files on it, or when some process has  its
       working	directory  there,  or  when  a swap file on it is in use.
http://man.linuxquestions.org/index.php?query=umount&section=0&type=2
Eventually I managed to unmount it with the "lazy" unmount:
# umount -l /media/kingston/

But then of course I still couldn't remount the next pen drive:
# mount /media/kingston/
mount: /dev/sda1 already mounted or /media/kingston busy

I've been to Google and LinuxQuestions.org and found the fuser advice
as above, but it hasn't helped.

umount:
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Umount
Mount, umount, fuser, lsof don't work: