[Sussex] Unable to umount - device is busy

Fay Zee fay.linux at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 7 00:18:35 UTC 2007

On 06/02/07, John Crowhurst <info at johnscomputersupport.co.uk> wrote:
> > # fuser -v -k /media/kingston/
> >
> >                      USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
> > /media/kingston/     root       1102 f....  famd
> >                      root     kernel mount  /media/kingston
> > No automatic removal. Please use  umount /media/kingston
>
> fuser tells you that there is a process still accessing the device, famd
> on pid 1102, kill it and then check fuser again.
> kill 1102

# fuser -v -k /media/kingston
# kill -9 1102
-su: kill: (1102) - No such process

> If you added another line in your fstab:
> /dev/sdb1 /media/kingston2 vfat rw,user,noauto 0 0
>
> Should allow you to mount a second flash drive. Note the second SCSI
> device is sdb not sda2.

I already had a second line in my fstab:
/dev/sdb1       /media/usb2     vfat    rw,user,noauto  0       0

But, switching the pen drive from one USB port to the other:

# mount /media/kingston/
mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
# mount /dev/sdb1
mount: /dev/sdb1 is not a valid block device