[Sussex] A lurker steps out of the shadow.....

Alan_Perry at amat.com Alan_Perry at amat.com
Thu Feb 15 17:23:20 UTC 2007

To All

Having been a member of this mail list for a long time I have learnt a
lot, but now I need some advice. But to show where I'm coming from....

Long long ago ( early 90's) I used a Unix system as part of a Test Rig and
I did the compilation of tweaked files etc and backed it up to tape.
(This was really handle turning but as a 20 year old it was a bit of a
buzz)

Then came the long years in the wilderness....

For the last couple of years I have been using DSL (versions 2 and 3) on
an old 300Mhz 586 to get my hand in.
The DSL boot cd has been a great help in wipping XP off my colleages PC's
when they had video / mother board driver issues (and needed to re-install
XP...)
Now I'm running Suse 10.2 on a seperate HDD on my home PC ( I love Multi
Boot BIOS)

Now the problem I have.
I am responsible test rigs with PCs running NT or XP (There is one running
Windows 3.0, but the least said the better....)
The short of it is I want to attach a Lap top to the Rigs and back up the
files. I was given a solution by our IT department, but it was unreliable.

Now I have found using a Router has been very successfull way of  maping
drives and copying files etc.

What I would prefer is to do away with the Router and use a cross over
lead. Is this possible?

I would like a boot cd for the laptop that starts samba , a dchp server
and lets the rig connect to the Laptop HDD. is this possible?
The only problem appears to be the Laptop runs XP, it seems to have been
an issue in the past, but things do move on...

regards, Alan

Alan Perry
Manufacturing Engineer (but not for long......)
MEPQ (Test Equipment Engineering)
Applied Materials UK Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 1403 22 2327
Main +44  (0) 1403 22 2345
The content of this message is Applied Materials Confidential.  If you are
not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, any
use or distribution is prohibited. Please notify me immediately by reply
e-mail and delete this message from your computer system. Thank you.