[Sussex] A lurker steps out of the shadow.....

Jacqui Caren jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 16 08:51:07 UTC 2007

Alan_Perry at amat.com wrote:

> To All
>
> Having been a member of this mail list for a long time I have learnt a
> lot, but now I need some advice. But to show where I'm coming from....
>
> Long long ago ( early 90's) I used a Unix system as part of a Test Rig
> and I did the compilation of tweaked files etc and backed it up to tape.
> (This was really handle turning but as a 20 year old it was a bit of a
> buzz)
>
> Then came the long years in the wilderness....
>
> For the last couple of years I have been using DSL (versions 2 and 3) on
> an old 300Mhz 586 to get my hand in.
> The DSL boot cd has been a great help in wipping XP off my colleages
> PC's when they had video / mother board driver issues (and needed to
> re-install XP...)
> Now I'm running Suse 10.2 on a seperate HDD on my home PC ( I love Multi
> Boot BIOS)
>
> Now the problem I have.
> I am responsible test rigs with PCs running NT or XP (There is one
> running Windows 3.0, but the least said the better....)
> The short of it is I want to attach a Lap top to the Rigs and back up
> the files. I was given a solution by our IT department, but it was
> unreliable.
>
> Now I have found using a Router has been very successfull way of  maping
> drives and copying files etc.
>
> What I would prefer is to do away with the Router and use a cross over
> lead. Is this possible?
>
> I would like a boot cd for the laptop that starts samba , a dchp server
> and lets the rig connect to the Laptop HDD. is this possible?

Yes - but here are the questions.

Q: Is the laptop NTFS or FAT32 formatted?

If NTFS, then pick your live distro carefuly NTFS write capability does
vary a tad.

If FAT32 then mots distros will be able to write to the disk.

Q: Does the Rigs instigate backup?

If yes then another option is to buy a network drive (~70UKP from
maplin or lidl). These simply plug into the box via an RJ45 and
appear as a netwrok share AND as an FTP server. If the rigs can
be told to backup, then you do not even need a laptop!

If no, then a portable drive may be usefull if you find problems
writing to the laptop hard drive. I have a usb based 250G external
which I plug into linux, windows and my XP laptop. It stores a
photo archive which I take "on site" :-)