[Sussex] Re: Sussex Digest, Vol 177, Issue 5

Alan_Perry at amat.com Alan_Perry at amat.com
Fri Feb 16 15:20:56 UTC 2007

Thanks to all for the responses.

Donuts sound great, but I'm more in the mood for a pint or 6 of cider

I have to apologize for the bad grammar and incoherence ( I was not
employed for english lit skills ...thats my excuse.)
and the Wife wanted to get home quick...(thats another excuse..)

> > I would like a boot cd for the laptop that starts samba , a dchp
server
> > and lets the rig connect to the Laptop HDD. is this possible?
>
> Yes - but here are the questions.

I was expecting that, indeed I welcome them.

> Q: Is the laptop NTFS or FAT32 formatted?

NTFS sadly

> If NTFS, then pick your live distro carefuly NTFS write capability does
> vary a tad.
>
> If FAT32 then mots distros will be able to write to the disk.
>
> Q: Does the Rigs instigate backup?

It would be straight copying of the various files to the another hard
drive from the rigs OS

I'm thinking that I could use  what ever tools Windows has... (I am aware
that Windows Backup and Restore only works to tape.....)

The rigs are circa 2002 and not that powerfull, and most do not have cdrom
drives even.

> If yes then another option is to buy a network drive (~70UKP from
> maplin or lidl). These simply plug into the box via an RJ45 and
> appear as a netwrok share AND as an FTP server. If the rigs can
> be told to backup, then you do not even need a laptop!

I have an Icy Box with hard drive in it, but it seems to have developed a
few problems in recent months....
That is the simplest idea, which I will look into right away....
Although I did note dsl has betaftp and I do have that old laptop to use
it on...

> If no, then a portable drive may be useful if you find problems
> writing to the laptop hard drive. I have a usb based 250G external
> which I plug into linux, windows and my XP laptop. It stores a
> photo archive which I take "on site" :-)

Some of them don't even have usb.....

regards, Alan

Alan Perry
Manufacturing Engineer (But not for long....)
MEPQ (Test Equipment Engineering)
Applied Materials UK Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 1403 22 2327
Main +44  (0) 1403 22 2345
The content of this message is Applied Materials Confidential.  If you are
not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, any
use or distribution is prohibited. Please notify me immediately by reply
e-mail and delete this message from your computer system. Thank you.