[Sussex] GRUB mystery

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 12:12:19 UTC 2007

On 2/18/07, Nic James Ferrier <nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk> wrote:

> Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> writes:
>

> > I would never recommend using lilo of grub any more.  Grub is better
> > because it doesn't need to re-install the boot loader if you change
> > the kernel image.
>
> Yep. But if lilo works...

LILO has built into it one precious set of features that grub lacks, the
"-D" option for setting a particulr default that isn't in the config file,
and the "-R" option for "use this option on the next reboot, then go back to
the default". I used to use those for kernel installations on remote
servers, so that I could run the kernel on the hardware and if it got hung,
it would revert to the old kernel on the next reboot.

Amazingly useful tool, it's never been implemented in the main grub
codebase.