[Sussex] New kid on the block

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Sun Feb 18 18:14:07 UTC 2007

Paul Shepard wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am pleased that Nik invited me to the SLUG meeting in January and
> good to meet the core members, it proved to be the right day to get
> the ball rolling for me.
> The talk on Blogging and the following discussions gave me much needed
> incentive to start putting words in print.
> I am very keen to help promote the concept of Open Source Software and
> wish to learn all I can about Linux and the advantages it can offer.
> But please, if you are up there with the geek fraternity, be gentle
> with me. I am not stupid, and I have reasonable Windows knowledge
> behind me but I don't want to be left in the cold while you talk code.
> If some discussions are a little less technical I will keep up and
> this will encourage new members to stay the course.
> I look forward to the next meeting which I believe is 22nd Feb, and
> hope to see you there.
>
> Paul Shepard (The Oracle <http://paulshepard.wordpress.com>)
Welcome Paul - I wasn't able to make the last moot, but hopefully
(assuming work doesn't throw (another) spanner in the works) I hope to
be along Thursday - look forward to meeting you then.

One thing about geeks (at least true ones I have met anyway!) is you
should never, ever be scared of asking questions - you might get told to
RTFM (this isn't bad btw - at least you will know where to find the
answer then :) ), you might get the answer, or you might start a
discussion to find the answer, but you won't be laughed at!  This is the
way we all learn, and feed off each other.

And, of course, there is nothing a geek likes more than showing others
how to do it, so take advantage!  Its all about learning at the end of
the day.

Cheers,

Richie