[Sussex] SSH -X and X11....

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Fri Feb 23 14:24:30 UTC 2007

Hi All,

Well, i've got to hand it to Steve - he was 100% right - chucking X11
through an SSH tunnel really does have a significant impact on the
speed.  I've reinstalled my MythTV box this morning on Ubuntu, and am
currently using Synaptic over the network without tunneling it, and the
speed improvement is marvellous.

Thanks for the tip Steve - I shall stop being quite so lazy in future,
and only use SSH -X where I need to avoid over-zealous and
uncontrollable firewalls! ;)

Incidentally, the thin-x client I was talking about that we used to use
was GraphOn Bridges - its now been renamed to GoGlobal:
http://webdev.graphon.com/products/goglobal/ux/index.html

Cheers,

Richie