[Sussex] Ubuntu Startup Runlevel....

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Fri Feb 23 14:59:16 UTC 2007

Hi Folks,

Just a quick Q.  I've just installed Ubuntu 6.10 on my fileserver, and
have been trying to find out where the runlevel that the system comes up on.

Now, this is the thing, being a redhat/solaris person, I've always
simply softlinked the script in the /etc/init.d dir to the relevant
runlevel that I want the system to come up on, in the /etc/rc3.d dir for
commandline, and /etc/rc5.d for GUI (on redhat).  The default runlevel
that the system comes up to is defined (on redhat and solaris) in the
/etc/inittab file with the initdefault line.

At first glance, it seems that Ubuntu is slightly different - it comes
up in runlevel 2 - I can see the /etc/init.d contains all the usual
suspects, and the softlinks are there, but where is the inittab file?
Google tells me that Debian uses inittab, so where is it in Ubuntu?

Reason for doing this:  I want to auto startup LVM and Mysql - so I just
link them to /etc/rc2.d, right?

Thanks in advance....

Richie