[Sussex] FW: Linux problem

Nic James Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Wed Feb 28 09:52:42 UTC 2007

"David Moss" <David.Moss at fdmgroup.com> writes:

> I have a friend with a bit of a problem, thought some of you might be
> able to give a few pointers?

I see he's already been pointed to network boot.

If he can network boot it's easy. I install all my machines that way.

Here's what you do:

- get another machine

- setup tftp server on it

- put a netboot boot loader (syslinux project) on the tftp

- put a netboot kernel on the tftp

- write a netboot config to point to a directory containing the distro
  of your choice exporred by NFS
  (this is why you need a special kernel, it needs NFS root mount
  turned on)

- make your dhcp server tell the install target where to find the tftp
  server

- turn on the install target

- netboot

- watch it go.

Personally, I use FAI to fully customize every stage of the
installation so I can be completly in control of the resulting
machine.

--
Nic Ferrier